Merger and acquisition services from PMLLP
At a time when scale is considered increasingly important for survival, but organic growth is hard to deliver, many law firms believe merger can offer the best solution. However, the many stories of failed mergers can be off putting before you start. Where to begin, how can you spare the time, how much will it cost, can we afford the distraction and will it pay off are all questions which can undermine your enthusiasm before you have even begun. So how do we take the strain out of merger activity?
Our Article on Mergers [ make the mergers would a link to the article needed ]highlights the need for clarity of purpose when a firm considers a merger, and then for very careful planning. No merger process should not be embarked upon lightly, as the cost in terms of resource and cash can be considerable. But if you start the process, then commitment is needed to ensure that the right fit is achieved and nothing lurks within the target firm that can prove to be costly in the long run.
Creating the right balance in the early stages between adequate investigation and cost control is the key. This ensures only the best prospects are followed up and creates the optimum environment for both successful negotiations and amalgamations.
Pathways has many years experience of countless merger discussions leading to a number of successful mergers. Consequently, we have developed a proven 6 stage process aimed at getting to the core of any issues quickly before large amounts of time and money are wasted on what might prove to be a fruitless venture.
Our approach is both simple and effective:
- We spend time with the acquirer to ensure that we understand the strategy, culture, and economics of the business;
- We obtain key data from the target;
- We visit the target’s offices and undertake a feasibility review. This involves analysis of data, review of files and consideration of key risk areas.
- We produce a short-form SWOT analysis of both the target and the merger.
- If the merger is still of interest, we then produce a full feasibility review. This includes an assessment of the financial impact of the merger in terms both of investment and future sustainable earnings for the merged business.
- We can then produce, if required, a Practice Plan and help manage the merger process.
- Your goals are identified and tested through independent analysis
- Prospects which best match your business – inspirationally and culturally – are efficiently identified and verified extremely cost effectively
- The financial and market opportunities of the merger are identified
- Practical plans for delivering a successful merger are produced
- Your time can remain focused on your core business until initial investigations are complete
- All this will ensure you should find and achieve a cost effective and successful merger in a timely manner.
If you are looking to secure a merger and think our experience can help you deliver your goals please CONTACT US